Much to my delight and surprise, I have been nominated for the “Real Neat Blog Award” by the esteemed Duri Rolvson! Thank you, Duri, I am deeply flattered and humbled that you’d think of me for this! This was super encouraging and motivating to receive. ^^ And only a week from my birthday, no less! Happy birthday to me! =D (For those interested, it’s on August 13th!)
Here are the rules for the “Real Neat Blog Award” (feel free not to act upon them if you don’t have time or don’t accept awards, etc.):
1. Put the award logo on your blog.
2. Thank the people who nominated you, linking to their blogs.
3. Answer 7 questions asked by the person who nominated you.
4. Nominate any number of bloggers you like, linking to their blogs.
5. Let them know you nominated them (by commenting on their blog, etc).
6. Ask your nominees 7 questions.
- What is the main reason as to why you started blogging?
As I was nearing the end of my Bachelors in Arts (Creative Writing and English) last year, I took a class where the whole goal was to establish ourselves online and through social media. I decided to really take it to heart, and tackled the task of making a WordPress website as if it would be my actual, long-term website. And I’m so glad I did! I love this little page of mine, and it’s been exciting to have a platform where I can exclusively share my short stories and occasional ramblings. My only regret is that I posted so frequently in the beginning; a short story every week burned through my buffer within a few months, and now I need to build it back up. (I don’t have an excuse for the actual blog posts beyond that I never know what to write about. ^^; )
- Tell us about your favorite author, book and/or genre.
I LOVE Science Fiction and Fantasy; there’s just something about the imagination and creativity behind making new and fantastical worlds that really draws me. I can definitely enjoy an everyday normal novel or historical fiction (I cannot abide romance unless it’s comedic, or horror pretty much ever). Also a big fan of comedic Christian mysteries like those done by Lorena McCourtney. As for favorite books/authors, it’s too hard to pick! But a few I absolutely love are The Storm Series by Rene Gutteridge (Mystery), Tales of Goldstone Wood by Elizabeth Stengl (FANTASTIC Faith/Fantasy series, highly recommend!), and The Heavenly Daze Series by Lori Copeland and Angela Hunt (Slice of Life/Angels). And I great up on the Redwall Series by Brian Jacques (Fantasy), so that will always have a place in my heart.
- What motivates you to write?
Generally, the idea that I’ll get to share a cool idea with someone! I have a hard time writing in a vacuum; it’s always been easier for me to write if it was for a class assignment or because I promised someone I’d finish the story for them (or, in one case, because I wasn’t allowing myself to get a fanfiction.net account until I actually FINISHED my first fanfiction – probably the only reason I ever got one done. XD; ). This website is great for that because I can always count on at least a few likes and maybe a rare, wonderful comment on my short stories. Currently I’m working on transforming the long-term motivation of “getting published” into that push I need to get my book finished!
- If you could spend a day with anyone (alive, dead, or fictional), who would it be and why?
Ooo, tough one… Maybe my character RFWGirl (Random Food Word Girl), she’s practically DESIGNED to be my ideal goofy sidekick. Or my character Caylik; he is a pretty level-headed, capable guy, and he puts up with his foster daughter Trapper who is WAY crazier than I am, so I think we’d get alon okay. XD
- What makes you happy?
Seeing my Mom smile because of something I did or shared with her. Good clean funny humor that makes me bust a gut laughing. Knowing I have an awesome family who loves me and stands by me despite all my flaws. That feeling of accomplishment when I read something I wrote or look at something I drew and REALLY like how it came out. The moments of joy knowing that I am saved in Christ and that He loves me and is growing me despite all my screwups and doubts. Oh, and my LoZ: Breath of the Wild game on my Nintendo Switch. 😀
- If you could travel anywhere, where would you like to go?
I think Japan would be pretty gorgeous! The pictures I see are always so lovely. And I REALLY love Hawaii, so I’d enjoy going there again. But the one thing I definitely know I want to experience someday is a beach with that crystal-blue, shallow water you can just walk/swim out in. That would be AMAZING.
- What’s your favorite quote?
Dudes. Dudes. I have an ENTIRE ARCHIVE of favorite quotes. (Started by me recognizing that I have a crappy memory and not wanting to lose all those fantastic lines I happened upon.) Most of them are funny/silly and from people I know or shows/books, but still, it’s gonna be hard to pick just one. So, here are FIVE of my favorites:
Me: (accidentally laughs out loud at something online while at work)
Kyle: “There will be no laughing here! This is not a place of joy. This is a place of suffering.”
YamiRedPen: “Three in the morning isn’t absurdly late at all. At that point, it’s absurdly early.”
FrostFox: “Heroes get remembered, but smartmouths have better quotes.”
“The Cross was the place where God and sinful man merged with a tremendous collision and where the way to life was opened. But all the cost and pain of the collision was absorbed by the heart of God.” – Oswald Chambers
“There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations – these are mortal, and their life is to ours as that of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit—immortal horrors or everlasting splendors.” – C.S. Lewis
“And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” – Col 3:17
Nominations! I nominate these awesome peeps:
- Mikki of “Just [BLANK] To Be Here” – for her wonderfully entertaining and hysterical trailer reviews and just in general keeping me entertained every time she posts!
- And Eric Michael Heiden of “Adventures, Magic, and Nightmares” – for being a super awesome guy and an excellent writer (even though he enjoys writing horror, which I don’t. XD But that doesn’t cancel out the first two facts!)
My Questions to the Nominees:
- What got you started writing?
- What is your FAVORITE story/post you have ever written? Provide links if possible!
- What’s your favorite author, book, and/or genre?
- If you could be any animal, what would it be and why?
- Who has had the greatest influence on your writing? Can be someone you know or a famous person who inspired you.
- What is the funniest book you have ever read?
- If we were stuck on a spaceship together and the aliens were coming for us, what would you do first?
Thanks for reading, guys! I hope ya’ll continue to enjoy my blog and my stories! God bless,